Warts are one of the most common skin problems that can turn up anywhere on the body, but they are most commonly appear on the back side of the hands and feet. These warts have a rough skin surface and sometimes a small black spot is visible in the middle of it, which represents multiple thrombosed (clotted) capillaries. Some people mistakenly call these dots “seed warts”.
Warts are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) that can spread to another part of your own body through cuts or scratches and also picked up from someone else.
The most common types of warts are common warts, flat warts, and plantar warts. They are harmless skin growths and can disappear within a period of 6 months to 2 years but it can be a source of pain or embarrassment for many.
Effective Home Remedies for Warts
Warts can be treated easily with natural remedies. Try these effective natural home remedies for warts to rid yourself of your unwanted visitor. Have a look:
As you know, garlic has a long history of being used to heal skin problems. Allicin, the main component of garlic, has microbial effects that fight viral infections such as warts. To treat warts with garlic-
- Crush garlic clove. Apply it to the wart and cover it with a bandage.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes and then wash the area thoroughly.
- Follow this treatment twice daily for about three to four weeks. Garlic will help the wart to blister and fall off due to the caustic effect. Larger warts may take longer to heal.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works like salicylic acid, a common wart treatment that peels away the infected skin. Plus, it has antimicrobial properties that may help fight HPV.
- Mix the two parts apple cider vinegar in one part water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and place it on the affected area. Cover the area with a bandage.
- Leave it on for three to four hours.
- Repeat this simple remedy for a few weeks.
Aloe vera is known for its anti-inflammatory properties that fight pathogens, including viruses. Plus, it will also provide relief from itchiness and pain.
- To use aloe vera, extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Apply this gel on your wart using a clean cotton ball.
- Repeat the process twice daily for two weeks. Within a few days, warts will start turning black. Later on, warts will fall off leaving a small mark that will gradually vanish.
Nail polish is very effective in treating warts as it is said to “suffocate” the virus. It can act as a protective coating.
- Coat the wart with clear nail polish. You can use this remedy two or three times a day. It will fight the virus that causes this problem.
Vitamin C has immune-boosting properties. It is highly acidic in nature that is also essential for wound healing and healthy skin tissue.
- To try it, crush up two to three vitamin C tablets in a bowl.
- Add a little water in it to make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste to warts and cover it with a bandage. Repeat this remedy daily. It may cause skin irritation or a burning sensation, but it will quickly go away.
Castor oil has ricinoleic acid, known to have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that helps fight HPV. It’s used as a natural remedy to cure various skin disorders such as ringworm, dandruff, and other skin conditions including warts.
- Apply castor oil on the wart every day for several times. It might take two or more weeks for the wart to fall off.
- Plus, soak a cotton ball in castor oil. Tape it over wart before going to bed. In the morning, clean the wart and soak it in warm water for a few minutes.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has a powerful antimicrobial property that is used to treat skin conditions like acne, athlete’s foot, and other skin infections. The antiviral properties of the tree tea oil also help get rid of warts.
Always dilute the tea tree oil because undiluted oil can cause skin irritation.
- Mix one to two drops of tea tree oil with 12 drops of carrier oil, like castor oil or almond oil.
- Add a cotton ball in this mixture and place it on the wart for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat two or three times a day.
Banana peels have potassium that helps fight HPV. It helps your immune system fight off the virus that caused it and dissolves warts.
- Gently rub the inside of a fresh banana peel on the affected area. Repeat this remedy as often as you can. If the size of the wart is large, repeat this remedy for several days to several weeks for better results.
- You can also cut a piece of banana peel and tape it over your wart before going to bed. Leave it on overnight. Repeat this remedy twice or thrice a day.
The bottom line
Warts usually disappear on their own, but these natural home remedies for warts may help speed up the process.
It is recommended that do a patch test first before trying these remedies. Even the use of natural treatments can also cause skin irritation.
Hopefully one of these treatments will help you to alleviate your warts. If not, you can always seek medical advice.
Also Read: Mouth Ulcers: Causes and Treatment