Back Pain is a health concern for many people common problems that can interfere with a person’s work and personal life. Fortunately, many home remedies exist to help relieve bothersome back pain.
Back pain is one of the most common health problems that can interrupt your day or interfere with your plans. It affects people of almost all ages, but it is especially more familiar in people ranging from 35-60 years old.
Back pain is a health concern for many people. In fact, up to 80% of people will experience back pain at some point in their lifetime. They can experience pain in other areas of the back, including the middle and upper back.
Symptoms of back pain include pain in the back or around the pelvis and hips, swelling in the back, reduced ability to bend, difficulty in everyday movements while sitting, standing, walking or obtaining a comfortable position for sleeping.
Back pain can occur for many reasons such as muscle tension, lack of physical activity, sleeping disorders, improper diet, excessive physical labor, poor sitting posture, smoking, faulty body mechanics, age and pregnancy. Any damage or injury to the muscles, ligament, or discs of your back can lead to back pain.
Back pain isn’t something you can ignore or wait for it to resolve on its own. Thankfully, there are several natural ways to treat back pain at home that can provide quick relief from the pain and inflammation. Keep reading to see how you can ease your back pain.
Tips for Fast Back Pain Relief at Home
Here are top home remedies that provide quick relief from back pain, allowing you for a fast return to regular activities.
Cold and Heat Packs
It is the best choice to use a cold compress for an acute injury such as a strain, where there is a lot of superficial inflammation. The cold temperature can alleviate pain by numbing the area and reduce swelling.
A person can also use a bag of frozen vegetables if ice is not available.
- You can simply apply an ice pack on your back and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Use a plastic bag full of crushed ice and wrap it in a towel or place in a pillowcase. Put the compress on the back for up to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process, waiting half an hour between each application.
A heating pad can relieve achy muscles and sore type back pain symptoms. It can be a better choice to increase muscle relaxation and blood flow.
- Apply heating pads or hot water bottles to the affected area. Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process every half an hour.
- It is recommended that read and follow the instructions on any heating pad and make sure to test the temperature carefully to ensure it is not too hot.
Herbal Oil Massage
Gently massaging a sore or tense muscle with herbal oil is one of the most effective ways to loosen it up and relieve pain. Herbal oils such as eucalyptus oil have antispasmodic, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that help address the problem and reduce swelling. It can provide instant relief by-
- reduces back pain
- improves back function
- lessens the use of anti-inflammatory medications
- minimizes days in bed
How to use:-
- Heat a few tablespoons of almond oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil, olive oil or coconut oil.
- Add 5 to 6 drops of eucalyptus or other herbal oil in the warm carrier oil.
- Gently massage the affected area with this oil for a few minutes to get instant relief.
- Repeat this process 2 or 3 times a day for a few weeks.
Ginger is highly effective for treating a number of health problems and considered as a virtual medicine. It can also be used in the treatment of back pain due to its anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Cut the fresh ginger in small pieces to make a paste and grind it. Apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with water. Do this once daily for a few days
- Alternatively, you can cut fresh ginger into 4 to 6 thin slices and put them in two cups of water. Simmer it on low heat for 10 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool down and strain it until it turns cold. You can also add little honey for taste. Follow this remedy two-three times a day for a few weeks.
- Or, you can also make a ginger tea to get relief from this problem.
Also Read: Top Five benefits of Ginger
Turmeric is a wonderful herb for relieving back pain. It contains a curcumin compound, which has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties that can be used to treat and relieve back pain and its symptoms.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of hot milk.
- Drink this mixture.
- Follow this remedy at least twice daily for a few days until you feel any improvement.
Holy basil is a brilliant remedy for your health when it comes to treating back pain because it contains anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties.
- Take a handful of basil leaves and add it into one cup of water and boil it until the water reduces to half.
- Let it cool to down to normal temperature.
- Drink this remedy once daily; for severe pain. You can also add a pinch of salt for taste.
Epsom salt is known as magnesium sulfate, has long been viewed as a way to ease pain and relieve inflammation. It is anti-inflammatory due to its high magnesium content that relieves chronic back pain associated with a neuropathic component.
- Take a bowl full of warm water and add ½ cup Epsom salt. Mix it well. Soak a hand towel in this mixture and wring out excess water. Apply this towel to the affected area and leave it for 5 minutes. Repeat this process for 15 minutes. This will also help reduce swelling.
- Alternatively, add two cups of Epsom salt to lukewarm bathwater. Soak and relax your body in it for 20 to 30 minutes. Do this thrice in a week.
Chamomile is also known as herbal aspirin due to its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects. It helps relax tense muscle tissues that can be the cause or a related symptom of a backache. It can also help to reduce swelling.
- Steep the dried chamomile in a cup of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Add honey for flavor and consume this tea before it turns cold.
- Drink one to three cups daily.
You can buy pre-packaged chamomile tea or make your own.
Exercises are good for people who have low back pain. They can help loosen up the tense muscles and protect you from future pain. Some exercises that are known to reduce pain more quickly and make a fast recovery overall are:
- Walking on flat ground
- Standing backbends
- Cobra Pose.
When to See a Doctor
It’s important to talk with your doctor when your back pain is increases and starts progresses to leg pain or weakness.
An ideal time frame for getting relief from any of the above remedies is up to 1 week. If there is no improvement then you need to consult a doctor immediately.
Go ahead and try these brilliant remedies and let me know your experiences in the comments section below. Also, spread the word by sharing this post.