Ear infections are the most common cause of ear pain. It is medically known as acute otitis media, caused by bacteria or viruses in the middle ear, which is the air-filled space between the eardrum and the oval window of the ear.It occurs more often in children than in adults.
Common causes of ear infections are genetics, upper respiratory infections, food allergies, environmental allergies, wax buildup, fetal alcohol syndrome, nutritional deficiencies, and internal injuries.
Some symptoms of an ear infection are dizziness, pain in the ear, spinning sensation, tugging at the ear, difficulty sleeping, headache, nausea, high fever, hearing loss, fluid draining from the ear, vomiting, and diarrhea.
The ear is made up of three parts:
It can occur in any of the three parts.
The outer layer has a section called pinna and the sound waves enter into the ear canal through this section. Through the ear canal, the sound waves reach the eardrum which is located in the middle part. The middle part is responsible for transmitting sound from the outer part to the inner part.
In addition, the inner section of the ear has important ear organs like cochlea, Eustachian tube, and nerves. In this section, sound waves from the canal are sent to the nerves so that the brain can process the sound. After that, we are able to recognize the sound and understand it.
Home Remedies for Ear Infections
It is important to treat an ear infection to avoid complications and damaging of the ear. It is important to consult a doctor, but for immediate relief, you can try some natural home remedies for ear infection. There are simple yet effective home remedies that can help to get rid of the ear pain and symptoms of an ear infection.
Garlic is highly effective in the treatment of ear infections. It has antimicrobial properties that can fight infection and relieve pain. There are a few ways to use garlic as a home treatment.
- Boil two or three fresh garlic cloves in water for five minutes. Crush them and add some salt into it. Put the mixture in a clean cloth and place it against the affected ear.
- Alternatively, make garlic oil by cooking two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of mustard oil or sesame oil until it turns browns. Strain the solution. Drop two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops, when it is bearably hot.
- In addition, you can also eat two to three cloves of raw garlic daily also helps speed up the healing process.
Also Read: Benefits of garlic
Breast milk works wonder for both children and adults. It has antimicrobial properties that can help speed up the healing process of any kind of ear infection. It will ease the discomfort and swelling. Also, it will help to get rid of an ear infection within one or two days. It is also helpful to treat eye infections and minor cuts.
- Put a few drops of breast milk into the affected ear with the help of a dropper.
- Repeat the process every few hours as needed.
Holy basil is a brilliant remedy when it comes to treating minor earaches and ear infections. It contains anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties.
- Crush a handful of fresh holy basil leaves gently to extract the juice. Apply the basil juice on the infected ear. Avoid getting the juice in the ear canal.
- Alternatively, mix a few drops with an equal quantity of holy basil oil and coconut oil. Mix them well. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and gently wipe just inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear. Follow the process twice daily.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has powerful antifungal, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can give instant relief from earache. It can provide relief from pain and discomfort.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of colloidal silver.
- Warm the mixture slightly.
- Lay on your side with your head on a towel. Fill your ear with the mixture using a dropper and let it sit for five minutes. Then turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely. Use this remedy twice or thrice a day for two days.
Olive oil is a very helpful remedy to get rid of ear infection. To treat ear infection, follow the steps below:-
- Warm some olive oil. Put a few drops of the warm oil into the infected ear, it is safe and effective. The oil will cause the wax to soften.
- Alternatively, you can also use mustard oil.
Go ahead and try these brilliant remedies and let me know your experiences in the comments section below. Also, spread the word by sharing this post.