Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is a condition characterized by consistent unpleasant breath odor.
It can be due to a number of reasons such as postnasal drip, digestive disorders such as acid reflux, smoking, alcohol, dry mouth, medical conditions such as liver or kidney diseases, eating odorous foods cause bad breath.
However, it is often caused by improper dental hygiene. Plus, lack of the saliva in the mouth also contributes to this problem.
When you eat, food particles get stuck in your teeth resulting in bacteria that releasing foul-smelling sulfur compounds.
Drinking plenty of water throughout the day is necessary for keeping your breath fresh. In addition, after eating a meal, you should swish water around your mouth for a few seconds. This will help loosen food particles stuck between your teeth and clean your mouth.
You can also get rid of bad breath with the help of some proven effective home remedies that can easily available in your kitchen cupboard.
Home Remedies for Bad Breath
Here are the top 8 home remedies that can eliminate bad breath. Let’s take a closer look at some of them.
1. Fennel seeds
Fennel seeds act as an excellent mouth freshener that helps to get rid of bad breath. It has antiseptic properties that fight the bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Chewing a tablespoon of fennel seeds help freshen your breath and stimulate the production of saliva in your mouth.
- Alternatively, make a fennel tea by steeping one or two teaspoons of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink it a couple of times a day.
Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, which is an essential oil that covers up bad breath. Plus, it reduces the number of bacteria in your mouth. To get rid of bad breaths follow this remedy twice a day.
- Boil a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- You can also add some bay leaves and some cardamom seeds too.
- Strain the solution and drink it as a mouth rinse to refresh your breath.
Fenugreek tea is one of the highly effective home remedies when it comes to treating bad breath caused by catarrhal infections.
- Boil one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water to make fenugreek tea.
- Strain it and drink this tea once a day until you get rid of bad breath.
Cloves have antibacterial properties that are very helpful in getting rid of bad breath. Plus, cloves help freshen your mouth.
- Put a few pieces of cloves in your mouth and chew them thoroughly for a few minutes are one of the easiest methods to eliminate bad breath.
- Alternatively, you can also make clove tea by boiling one teaspoon of ground cloves on a cup of water. Allow it to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink the tea or you can also use it as a mouthwash twice a day.
Parsley effectively neutralizes bad breath as it contains chlorophyll.
- Simply chew on a fresh parsley sprig to refresh your mouth. If preferred, you can also dip the parsley sprig in vinegar and then chew it thoroughly.
- Alternatively, you can put parsley leaves through a juicer. Sip the juice anytime you want to refresh your breath. It will also help in digestion.
Also Read: Top Worst Offenders of Bad Breath
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon rinse has been used for generations for curing bad breath. Lemon is antibacterial in nature that prevents the growth of bacteria causes mouth odor.
- Chewing on a lemon or orange rind (skin) will freshen your mouth and add a burst of flavor in your mouth.
- Alternatively, stir one tablespoon of lemon juice into a cup of water and add a bit of salt in it. Rinse your mouth with it. Salt is optional. This herb will help to get rid of dry mouth which is one of the main reasons that contribute to this problem.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is great at balancing pH levels which makes it quite effective to eliminate bad breath. Try one of the solutions listed below:
- Stir one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar into a glass of water to make a solution. Drink the solution before eating your meals. It will not help you in digestion but also cure you of bad breath.
- Alternatively, you can gargle with apple cider vinegar mixed in a cup of water.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is another great solution for eliminating bad breath. It balances the pH levels of acid that contribute to bad breath. In addition, it fights oral bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it once daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Alternatively, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix them well. Brushing your teeth with this mixture will also help reduce the acidity in your mouth and prevent bacteria from building up on your tongue.
If your bad breath isn’t improving with these mentioned home remedies, immediately consult your doctor. It can be a sign of a more serious problem such as diabetic ketoacidosis, kidney failure, or an infection.